Monday, August 18, 2008

An Appetite for Good Health

I've gotten to experience a different side of America than my familiar world three blocks from Whole Foods Market and as a Nutrilite marketer.

As we've traveled across seven states--Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire--I've noticed that most people are ignorant about what they are consuming. And how it affects their bodies in terms of energy levels, as well as their health--short term and long term.

Now, when I say "ignorant" I am using the dictionary definition of the word--lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact.

Why is it that, for the most part, people lack knowledge regarding the correlation between what they put into their bodies and how their bodies will perform, now and in the future?

I too was ignorant in regards to nutrition and wellness. But as time goes by, I have made it a priority to gain more knowledge and insight in this arena, as well as to share it with others.

A good primer for people is the 2004 Academy Award-nominated movie Super Size Me. It is 100 minutes well worth watching. This educational and amusing movie isn't just about fast food. Among other things, it illustrates just how messed up we've gotten in our relationship with what we put into our bodies each and every day.

Many people focus on trying to lose weight, but here's the bigger issue: the eating habits that have caused any given individual to be overweight in the first place.

When I first decided to lose weight, admittedly it was vanity that drove me. I was in a dressing room trying on clothes and disgusted that I had to go up yet another size. But what kept the weight off (30 pounds on a 5'2" frame) all these years was a desire for wellness. Being svelte is simply a positive byproduct.

I wanted to feel good--mentally and physically--plain and simple. I didn't care what the bathroom scale said. I cared how I felt. I wanted to have energy and vitality. I wanted to be sharp mentally. I wanted to be positive and happy and have a great outlook on life.

And I started to notice that food played a major factor. As I became aware that certain foods made me feel lethargic and crabby and just plain yucky, I started to look at food differently.

Now when I eat, I ask myself, "Twenty minutes from now, will I be energized by eating this or will I want to go take a nap?"

That simple question, asked over and over again, has reaped great benefits.

THEN & NOW

No comments: