Monday, January 10, 2011

"Future Tripping" Is Not Allowed

Tonight was the first time I "future tripped" about my children. I had a flash, a realization, on an emotional level, that they were going to some day be too big and not interested, in flopping around our home with me.

It was a few minutes before 5:00 pm, their daddy was going to be home soon, dinner preparation could wait a few more minutes. The three of us were sprawled this way and that, on one of their twin beds, as I read from a book I happen to grab off the floor.

I then flipped on to my back and looked over at my daugher lying next to me. I then looked at my son who was lying in the opposite direction as he sat up.

I looked at his innocent little seven-year-old face. I stared actually. Attempting to remember every detail.

"What mamma," he asked.

"You are not allowed to grow up," I blurted.

"Huh," he looked confused.

"No really. This is it. You are not allowed be more than seven years old."

"But I want to get older," my daughter announced.

I took a deep breath. I smiled, squeezing and kissing them, which grounded me and brought me back to the present moment, the present gift, the present joy.

1 comment:

ajgannon said...

I'm 37, and I want to hang out with my parents all the time! :)